Sunday, May 16, 2010

As the days go by...


I know it's been a while since my last blog, but not too much has happened that you would really want to know about. We are down 2 more treatments and the week after next Joel will be 1/2 way done! He knows what to expect after each treatment and just deals with the fatigue and nausea as best he can. He still has most of his hair, but it is becoming obvious that no new growth is coming in. Not a big deal with the amount he started with and who cares about hair anyway when you could be puking your guts up, right??!! All in all he is doing great and still amazes me that after all this he's still upbeat and high on life - thank you God!
The boys and I went up to Dallas for Mother's day and spent a few days with my mom as well as going to my nephew's 3rd birthday party. The boys hadn't been to Nana's in a very long time and enjoyed our stay. We "camped out" up in the bonus room and surprisingly all managed to sleep well. As with every time we travel.....the kids and I did get a horrible stomach virus. It started with J.J. throwing up the afternoon we got there while trying to fish and Jace and I having it the next day. Luckily we were all better by Saturdays party.


J.J. was re-tested for swimming last week and will be going back to the same level he left off at last spring. I have to admit that I was a little surprised at how much he remembered and was able to do since his surgery....Go J.J.! He has become mommy's big helper lately and will do pretty much everything I ask of him and with a smile. He's started spelling 3-5 letter words and can write the alphabet without any help. His favorite game to play with Joel is super heroes where they have to spell out words that will give them a certain power like lava, ice, glass, cape and shark. It's amusing to watch him use his imagination like he really has the power.
Jace continues to do more and more things like J.J., both good and bad, and has quite the little attitude. He refuses to say "sorry" and had rather go to his room than apologize. He's very stubborn and persistent which I'm sure will pay off in life as he gets older. Swimming is still exciting for him and every class he completes one more task.
We are exploring vacations for once chemo is over and are thinking about Disney world. I'm pushing for the Disney cruise as well, but we'll see.... Any advice on where to stay or special packages that are a must??



3 comments:

  1. Hey Marsha! Glad to hear that everyone is doing well and that Joel is almost halfway through with his treatments! I can't believe how big the boys have gotten--especially Jace. :-) I think Disney is a great idea (and that the cruise would be awesome!). If you go to Disney, definitely stay at a Disney property. They're all nice (even the budget All Star resorts) and super convenient with the tram service. Let us know when you go; maybe John, Caroline, and I can come down for a quick visit! Praying for all of you! Dara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how big they both have gotten!! You guys are amazing. I've been thinking about you a lot lately. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWE! The boys are so cute in those pictures! And you and your mom are so pretty! Disney is fun! We went the week after Thanksgiving and it was still hot but not too hot. I wonder if a cruise would be more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete